What are the new features Facebook’s adding to its platform? What’s new with Google Search Console Performance reports? Can advertisers take more control over their ads? What are the top Q1 2021 marketing trends?
In this article, we’ll cover the following digital marketing news:
- Facebook: New Business Suite features
- Google Search Console: Performance Reports update
- Google Ads: Advertisers gain more control over their ads
- [Report] Q1 2021 Marketing Trends
Ready to dive in?
Facebook: New Tools To Help Customers Find Businesses Online
It’s time for social media manager to rejoice. Why? Facebook announced the (upcoming) release of a few new Business Suite features that will help businesses connect with their customers online and, of course, boost their business growth.
The new tools and features include –
- Scheduling for Stories. Most marketers already know that scheduling posts ahead of time is a great – and effective – way to save time while staying connected to your audience. But now, with this new feature, marketers will be able to create, publish and schedule stories to both Facebook and Instagram simply by clicking “Create Story”.
- New ways to Get Discovered. Starting in the U.S., Facebook will be testing a new experience from News Feed where users will be able to tap on a topic of interest under posts and ads in Feed.
- New Business Page management tools. Back in January, Facebook revamped the Page experience adding five new features. Now, the company is giving businesses a new set of tools to manage their Business Page without even leaving the app.
The announcement. “For the first time, businesses can engage as their business profile, making tasks like commenting, posting and liking as a business easier. With a new dedicated business News Feed, separate from your personal one, businesses can more easily engage with their communities and find relevant content from other businesses.”
- New Conversion Leads goal for Lead Ads. The new optimisation goals for ads campaigns will allow advertisers on Facebook to optimise their ads campaigns for leads most likely to convert vs pure volume helping advertisers connect with the best leads much faster. Additionally, the new optimisation will also allow advertisers to integrate their CRM data with Facebook.
The reason you should care. This new set of tools and features will be pretty valuable to marketers’ social media planning, business growth and improved brand awareness.
Search Engine and SEO News
Google Search Console: Improvements To the GSC Performance Reports
Google Search Console (GSC) announced a couple of improvements to the Performance reports which will give marketers more ways to slice and dice organic search data.
The improvements include –
- Regular expressions. For the past year or so, marketers and SEO experts have been anticipating GSC to support regular expressions and it finally happened. For those wondering, regular expressions (a.k.a regex) is a way to perform advanced search & replace for strings of words or characters. This new filtering data approach will help create a more complex query and page-based filters. Example from Google –
Let’s say your company is called “cats and dogs” but is sometimes also abbreviated as ‘cats & dogs’ or even ‘c&d’. You can use a regex filter to capture all of your branded queries by defining the regex filter: cats and dogs|cats & dogs|c&d.
- Revamped Comparison Mode. You probably already use “Compare Mode” to answer comparison-based questions. However, previously, if there was more than one metric selected, the comparison column with relative differences (in %) would be missing. This is a thing of the past now. Google has finally improved the data filtering within the Comparison Mode to fully support cases where more than one metric is selected.
The reason you should care. Marketers and SEO experts will be able to gain more insight and dig deeper into their Google Search Console organic search and traffic data.
PC and Ads News
Google Ads: The Dynamic Exclusion Lists
Over the past years, brand safety has been top of mind for many businesses. Google Ads new dynamic exclusion lists will help advertisers to protect their ads from running alongside content that does not align with their brand or campaign.
The announcement. “Once advertisers upload a dynamic exclusion list to their Google Ads account, they can schedule automatic updates as new web pages or domains are added, ensuring that their exclusion lists remain effective and up-to-date.”
Before this new feature, marketers used “Advertisers Controls” to exclude specific websites, content types and entire topics from their ads campaign. However, advertisers – especially small businesses – found, at the time, the available tools for blocking web pages or websites required dedicated resources and regular updating which posed a challenge for them.
The reason you should care. Content across the web shifts and evolves. Thus, it’s crucial for all advertisers to keep up with any exclusions required to ensure their ads campaign will not show near content that doesn’t match their message. Hence, Google Ads dynamic exclusion lists will do exactly that without needing too much of the advertisers’ time and ongoing attention.
Digital Marketing News
B2B Buzz: Q1 2021 Marketing Trends
How have B2B brands established their digital foundations?
MeritB2B – a top leading resource for B2B marketers – have released its Q1 2021 Marketing Trends Report and these are the findings –
- increase in the use of email, search and display
- B2B marketers saw positive digital ROI
- 66% of B2B marketers used email for customer acquisition pre-pandemic
- 59% of B2B marketers utilised search for customer acquisition pre-pandemic
- 52% of B2B marketers used direct mail for customer acquisition pre-pandemic
- 80% of B2B marketers utilised email for client retention pre-pandemic
- since January 2020, 78% of B2B marketers saw an increase in email click-through rates
- 40% of B2B marketers plan to restore their regular marketing spend in early 2022 with 25% planning to do so in Q2 2021
You can find more details by downloading the Q1 2021 Marketing Trends Report.
Do you have any suggestions or ideas about which digital marketing news topics you’d like us to look out for in the future? Write your requests below. We’ll keep an eye out (or two) so you don’t have to – and all for FREE, of course.
EmailOut offers the most generous freemium email marketing software product for professional micro-businesses and SMEs across the globe coupled with the very best rates for large volume corporate senders. Take a look now.