“No website can stand without a strong backbone. And that backbone is technical SEO.” – Neil Patel
Digital marketing fads come and go, but one thing that doesn’t change is the value of inbound marketing.
That means keeping on top of the best and latest ways to nail the SEO of every blog post. To get you started, let’s run through 21 simple SEO tips for blog posts you can use today to achieve exactly that!
These SEO optimisations tips cover common issues like:
- Incorporating keywords
- Using Headings
- Getting the length and structure right
- Headers, meta tags and meta descriptions
- Images and GIFS
Here we go! 21 seriously snackable SEO tips for blog posts…
1. Start with detailed keyword research to figure out what words longtail phrases your audience is searching for.
2. At the same time, don’t stuff your post with keywords. It needs to flow naturally and engagingly.
3. Include some of these keywords in your headings and subheadings.
Length & Structure
4. Make sure your posts are at least 300 words, as Google tends to snub the super-short ones.
5. Do plenty of internal linking to other content on your site.
6. Include a brief, enticing introduction that makes it clear what readers can expect from the article. This makes them less likely to bounce straight off it when they open it.
Readability & Headings
7. For the same reason, short paragraphs, easy-to-read sentences and things like headers and images to break up the text keep people engaged and improve your SEO ranking in the long run.
8. Make sure there is only one H1 tag on the page.
9. Set up the rest of your headers so that they follow a clear H2 -> H3 hierarchy. This helps search engines to crawl the page (and real people to scan it for information).
Images & GIFs
10. When incorporating images and GIFs, use descriptive file names and alt text that reflects what these depict.
11. Hand-craft your URL to keep it short while reflecting what the post is about.
12. Don’t include the date the article was posted in your URL slug!
Headers, meta tags & meta description
13. Include the main keyword in your meta title – but make sure it reads naturally!
14. Keep your meta title under 60 characters so that it displays properly on all devices.
15. Write an interesting (and accurate) meta description of 50-300 characters in length.
16. Don’t forget to organize posts with meaningful categories and tags.
General SEO tips for blog posts
17. Read and reply to all the comments you get on the post.
18. Check that your blog posts are mobile-friendly. If you’re not sure, use this tool: Google Mobile-Friendly Test.
19. Add new content to your site regularly. Don’t let it stagnate!
20. Freshen up great evergreen blog posts by updating the content and keywords.
21. Help to create the first flow of people to the blog post by sharing it on social media and getting it out to your email list!
Last but by no means least, remember that the best way to win over search engines is to win over your readers first. That means producing amazing content and distributing it to people who will genuinely value it.
Ah, if you want to be the best when it comes to SEO optimisation, why not take a look at our in-depth article about SEO tips for beginners.