The COVID-19 outbreak keeps wreaking havoc on everyday life for both people and businesses. So much so, the time slots people are active on social media have changed immensely. With that in mind, all previous practices and recommendations about the best time to post on social media have pretty much become redundant.
In March, our dear friends at Sprout Social published a report regarding the best time to post to each one of the major social media platforms. The insights in the report were derived from over 20K users utilising the company’s services. However, a lot has changed since the initial publications of the report.
Due to the COVID-19 lockdowns, social media platform usage has seen a massive increase. Therefore, Sprout has revised its report after carefully reviewing more recent data. The updated report aims to help marketers fine-tune their social media strategy in order to adjust to the engagement changes during the COVID-19 crisis.
According to the revised report, the best times to post on the major social media platforms (compared to the original) are –
- In the original report, the most favourable time for Facebook engagement was Wednesday between 11 a.m. and 12 p.m.
- In the revised version (based on data collected between March and April), the current best times to post on Facebook is Monday, Wednesday and Friday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- In the original report, the most optimal time to post on Instagram was Wednesday at 11 a.m. and Friday from 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- According to the revised version, the ideal time to post now is Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 11 a.m. and Tuesday at 2 p.m.
- The original report showed the best times to post to be Wednesday and Friday at 9 a.m.
- The COVID-19 version of the report shows a slight change. The current best times to post now is Friday from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m. (the peak activity is at 9 a.m.)
- In the initial report, the top times to post on LinkedIn were Wednesday from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. and around 12 p.m., Thursday at 9 a.m. and between 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. and Friday at 9 a.m.
- The COVID-19 report shows the most favourable time slots to post to be Wednesday at 3 p.m., Thursday between 9 a.m. and 10 a.m. and Friday from 11 a.m. to noon.
Marketers should keep in mind that the timeframes listed are Central Time Zone (CST). Nonetheless, they are highly indicative of all local time zones as well.
These are only recommendations. The only way to determine what’s the best time to post for your business is by experimenting and observing the audience’s response. Depending on how the COVID-19 crisis progresses in the coming weeks and months, Sprout’s social media engagement recommendations might shift even further from what they were in the original report.